These are some of things that I wish I knew and understood fully before I started college.
I am not a fan of looking back on the past and saying things like “well if I would’ve known this..” or “well I couldn’t do that because I didn’t know this..” but I am always up to hear some advice from someone that can help me prepare for my future. With that being said, we here go:
What I Wish I knew Before I Started College
- The person you were during high school or in your hometown doesn’t define the person you are in college. You should never allow anything from your life before college restrict or limit who you are in college.
- You have to get out there and find your place & people in college. Some people get lucky and find their best friends on move-in day, BUT that really isn’t the norm.
- Losing touch with people from home isn’t a bad thing. You shouldn’t try to force to keep those friends. The genuine friendships will stick. The ones that don’t are the ones that don’t matter.
- Talking to Professors and establishing relationships with them is so valuable. There are so many advantages and opportunities that arise from doing so.
- I really wish I understood just how much textbooks cost! Seriously it’s insane, plus it’s hard to feel the pain of purchasing textbooks until you are actually in the position. Always look for deals on textbooks because they are out there! Read about alternative options for textbooks here
- Networking during College is so significant and essential. Everyone has their opinion. However, nearly every single one of my Professors has emphasized the importance of networking in college, before you start applying for full-time positions.
- College students are provided an endless amount opportunities and perks while in school. Sometimes you simply have to search a little bit for them depending on what your interests are. Nonetheless, it will definitely be worth it.
- Everyone in college is trying to figure everything out. Yeah, there will always be that person who says they have had their whole life planned out since they started high school and what not but the MAJORITY of us, really still have no clue. This is normal! Life changes, we change.
- It’s okay to change your major multiple times. It’s your life.
- The time we spend in College goes by so quickly similar to how fast LIFE passes us by; which is why it is so important to take advantage of each day, moment, and opportunity we are given, especially throughout college.
Subscribe to get updates!